Friday, January 7, 2011

Secret # 2


Make time to share each other's  "tales of the workplace"..or golf course.. or class or any of the sometimes mundane and/or frustrating day to day experiences. This task is best accomplished at the end of the day with a glass of wine or cocktail in hand for both of you! Depending on the tone, it may require two!!!


I can't imagine which institution I'd be calling home today if it hadn't been for M's mostly undivided attention and endless patience in acting as my sounding board all this time!
I'm the first to admit, I've created a lot of challenges for myself through the years with my choice of career moves,etc. To have that shoulder to cry on when you hit a wall or,conversely, the hand to "high five"  when you scale the mountain makes all the difference.
That's not to say there weren't times that the consolation took on a philosophical tone such as when he would ask "Honey, how many times are you going to run head on into that wall before you figure out that there is a way around it?" Needless to say,those comments,however insightful,were met with less than overwhelming enthusiasm or appreciation by me!



I'd like to think I have been as helpful to M,but I accept that I'm not always as patient. It took awhile to learn to rein in my desire to kick some butt (no..not his) when he would share his workplace horror tales!

No comments: